Saturday, January 14, 2012

Why Hilary Duff is flawless (Part 1)



There's absolutely no question to us music lovers that Hilary duff can do no wrong. But once in a while there comes some intellectual thinker (albeit a real idiot) who questions this fact of life. People like that inspired this recurring column, Why Hilary Duff Is Flawless. Here I will explore one song per post and its video (if it has one) and why this proves beyond a doubt the flawlessness of the currently-dormant (and pregnant) pop diva.
Please check out exhibit A, below

Exhibit A:


The song is called "Play With Fire" and it served as the first single from Duff's latest full-lenght studio album Dignity. The song was a huge departure from Duff's previous pop-rock work. What with the synthesizers, cool guitar licks, prominent drums, and altered vocals its like a completely different girl is it not? Yes, yes it is.
The incredibly cool track begins with some interesting alien-like sounds before breaking into by far the most electro-pop work that Duff has released in her whole career. Not only this, but Duff also takes main writer credits on this beauty. It doesn't sound like a big deal at first, I mean there's artists that write their music completely alone, right? Well it's a big deal. It's a big freaking deal for Hilary Duff.
Her previously childish songwriting found in her previous albums has completely matured into a sort of confident, almost cocky ex-girlfriend status. "Love me, love me, feed the flame if you want me back again. Burn to the sky, higher and higher. Baby can you play with fire?" Duff sings in the song's drum-laden chorus. The tone of the song is incredibly intriguing. It's like the guy who couldn't give Hilary what she needed bumped into here at the grocery store and all the wrath that she had been feeling for years comes out in the form a big fat BURN!

"Don't ask me let me tell you how I've been since when you left. Since you left me for dead. Finally every tear has dried, I've wiped you from my life," she sings cooly in the song's opening verse.
The change in maturity of this track is amazing. The year or so between the two albums was enough to turn Duff from a rebellious teenager to a fully competent, and confident, woman.
As if all this wasn't enough, there's the video. The gorgeous video. See exhibit B.
Exhibit B:




The above video, as you have noticed, includes, but is not limited to: fire, breaking glass effects, multiple Duffs (!!!), shimmery, geometrically-designed dresses, and lot's of hair flipping (!!!@#$%#$@%@!!!).
Seriously, I feel like I've said enough.
EDIT: I just found these, and they have changed my life. video in a nutshell.




Reblog, Like, & Follow if you like this post.
What do you think of Hilary Duff's "Play With Fire" or the post in general?

No comments:

Post a Comment