Monday, January 23, 2012

Hot Songs of the Week: 1/23

"Paradise" - Coldplay
I know I'm really late on the Coldplay train, pardon me on that, but this song is just too good not to talk about. After Recently having watched their performance of this track on Saturday Night Live, I have not been able to get over the epicness of this song. It's massively epic! "This could be para-para-paradise" the band's frontman Chris Martin sings over an ambitious techno-tinged rock productions that doesn't leave many silent gaps in between. The song lyrically speaks of a girl who is disappointed with how her life has turned out, so she turns to dreaming of paradise as her only way out. Quite tragic isn't it? I'm totally digging it though. Never have I heard a song this good by Coldplay. Never.




"So You're Alive" - Vincent Did It
Formerly known as Frankmusik, Vincent Did It is Vincet Frank's latest pseudonym. After parting ways (very bitterly at that) with his record labels, he decided to become an independent artist and do whatever the hell he wants, basically. This song is nothing at all like his old stuff as Frankmusik, which is what makes it so intriguing. It's so techno-y and glitchy and great. Be on the lookout for more of his music soon. And also, his debut album will be titled "Sopa Opera." Yea. Follow him on twitter for more strange shenanigans @VDItweets




"Want U Back" - Cher Lloyd
Cher Lloyd is loved and hated by the masses. Sometimes hated and loved by the same person at different periods. But this song, it's just pop perfection. Well, the solo version, because quite frankly Astro being thrown in there like a Bruno Mars hook is not really necessary, or pleasant at all for the matter. This song has extremely catchy lyrics, and I say this because even the verses are catchy, and a fun beat. It's like Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend" but made in 2011. "Boy you can say anything you wanna. I don't give a shh no one else can have ya. I want u back, i want u back, want want u want u back" Cher sings in the chorus. And don't forget those amazing grunts! UHH!




"Turn Me On" - David Guetta feat. Nicki Minaj
Yes, I hated this song at one point too. I actually deleted it off of my iPod. But now all the things I first hated about the song is what I now love about it. Minaj's strangely high-pitched vocals at first seemed annoying but they now sound fresh. "Make me come alive come on and turn me on. I'm too young to die come on and turn me on" Minaj sings in the song's drastically produced chorus. The synthesizers in this song are just off the hook! Kudos to David Guetta for producing such a great dance pop song, it manages to be good enough for the clubs, but pop enough to be the No. 1 song on iTunes. One downside though, Minaj's rap during the bridge is much too short.




"Born To Die" - Lana Del Rey
As soon as I heard this song I instantly fell in love with Lana Del Rey. No matter how much trash she gets for her "horrible performance" on SNL (which for the record was not bad at all) this song truly shows what Del Rey is all about. "Don't make me laugh, don't make me cry. Sometimes love is not enough and the road gets tough I don't know why" she sings during the calmly-produced chorus. Out of the few songs out by her this is one of the best. Not only are the lyrics extremely promising to what Del Rey will bring in her debut album, it's the production that wraps it all together. Without the calm, soft-rock production with a gangster vibe Del Rey might not be much.


No comments:

Post a Comment