Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Latino pop music scene is alive and well (Part 1)

I recently got back to the states after a week-long visit to my hometown of Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico. The trip was lots of fun and all, but what really stood out to me is that the music on Latin Top 40 radio is getting a lot better.
Last time I visited (last summer) the radio's big hits consisted of pop-rock tunes, which as we all know are 2000-and-late (sorry K. Clark) mixed with songs in English that were also popular stateside. All of the innovative techno-y, electronic music was coming from not only other countries, but other languages.
This time around I heard a lot more variety and innovation on the radio, which really stunned me. Being a native Spanish-speaker I was able to understand the lyrics in the songs and even came to notice that the lyricism of Latin pop music is a lot better than that of its American counterpart.
So, with that said, I'd like to share my discoveries with you. Maybe you speak Spanish, maybe you don't. Who cares? The point is these songs have great production, great music videos, and are an amazing beacon of hope for the future of Latin Pop
(Most of these songs will be in Spanish, but I will also post a a few popular English-speaking song that are popular in Mexico at the moment)

"Libertad" - Christian Chavez & Anahi
This song ("Liberty" in Spanish) is a duet between two ex-members of pop-rock band RBD (R.I.P.). Christian Chavez is a newly-launched solo gay-pop star and Anahi is a soap opera actress trying desperately to get her solo singing career going (and sadly failing at it). It sounds like a bad idea, but just listen and take a watch at the amazing video. It's like Mexican Adam Lambert! The stuttering hook, the auto-tuned vocals, the synthesizers and heavy bass. This song is worthy of American Top 40 radio!
Check out the ever-so-subtle undertones of comparing anti-gay movements to that of murder and the holocaust. Classy, huh?
PULLOUT QUOTE: "Nada es perfecto y el defecto es bello tambien"
Translation: "Nothing is perfect and defects are also beautiful"
How's that for an it-gets-better pop hit?









"Impermeable" - Ha*Ash
Ha*Ash is a sister duo consisting of sisters Hannah and Ashley. Although I previously spoke of pop-rock as a lost genre, these girls manage to acoustify it enough to make it not seem out of place. Also, the lyrics are beautiful! The chorus is an explosion of emotion and sincere lyrics that put this song on a whole 'nother level of amazingness.
The music video sees Ha*Ash conversing over what the song's video should be about and tweaking it along the way. The video explores the complex aspects of relationships; the honeymoon phase, the love-hate relationship, and the sexual aspect of love and let me tell you this video is beautifully crafted just like the song.
PULLOUT QUOTE:
"No eres perfecto, ya lo se.
Eso no fue con lo que me enamoraste,
Es tu manera de fingir que nada pasa al desilucionarme.
Me ahogaste y ahora...
 Vez que esta Fue la Ultima Vez,
 por que tus Disculpas Ya No me Tocan
 TĂș te resvalas en Mi piel
 por que Ya tus Lagrimas No me Mojan
 de Perdonarte me Canse
 No vuelvo a Amarte
 Hoy soy Impermeable..."
Translation:
"You're not perfect, I know
That's not how you made me fall in love with you
It's the way you act as if nothing is happening as you disappoint me
you drowned me and now...
You see that this was the last time
because your apologies no longer touch me
You slide off my skin
because your tears no longer wet me
tired i grew of forgiving you
i'll never love you again
today i'm impermeable"









"Me Gustas Tanto" - Paulina Rubio
Paulina Rubio is a huge superstar in Mexico. She grew up in the spotlight at part of a kids group (Timbiriche) and later became a Platinum solo recording artist. She's know for being a little on the slutty side (shows too much, much too often) but her music is always catchy as hell. Normally she sings pop music with elements of Banda and Mariachi, which is an amazing niche she made for herself and other artists to fill in later. Now, with the help of hitmaker RedOne, she released "Me Gustas Tanto" (I Like You So Much). The song speaks about how a normally outgoing girl freezes when around the man she's into.
The music video is nothing short of showstopping, as Paulina's videos usually are. She looks gorgeous in every set and the video just compliments the track very well.
PULLOUT QUOTE: "Es lo que siento yo cuando estoy cerca de ti. Es algo quimico que se apodera de mi. Sera tu phisico que me hipnotizo? Es ironico que no pueda decirte que me gustas tanto"
Translation: "It's what I feel when I'm close to you. It's something chemical that takes over me. Could it be your physique that hypnotized me? It's ironic that I can't tell you that I like you so much"







"Loca People" - Sak Noel
If any song on this list shows the advancement of Latin pop it's this song. The club track produced by Spanish DJ Sak Noel is mainstream enough to be played on the radio. The song is mostly in English, but also has some parts sung in Spanish ( vocals by Dutch singer Esthera Sarita). The catchy half-spoken chorus and the great Ibiza-ready production are the song's backbone, not to mention its chorus alone is catchy enough to stay in your head for years.
PULLOUT QUOTE: "Johnny, la gente esta muy loca. What the f*ck?"
Translation: "Johnny the people are really crazy. What the f*ck?"

"Ayer" - Enrique Iglesias
The Spanish popstar is well known in the U.S. for his uptempo electronic dance music, but in Spanish-speaking countries he's better known for his ballads. This is why (English: "Yesterday"). The great lyrics in this song are enough to make it a hit, but then the acoustic production infused with techno influences that are oh-so-subtle make it that much better.
The video is a slow pan-in, pan-out destruction scene surrounding Enrique. Sounds boring but oh is it great to watch!
PULLOUT QUOTE: "Ayer cabias en mi corazon. Te escondiste en un rincon del otro lado. Yo se que la vida nos dejo saber que nuestro amor nos a acabado."
Translation: "Yesterday you fit in my heart. You hid in a corner at the other side. I know that life has let us know that this love has finished us."

STAY TUNED FOR PART 2 COMING SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment